Friday, November 25, 2005

Happy Thanksfarting

This year's potluck involved: 1. A frank and enthusiastic discussion of my sex life with people who have known me since I was three. 2. A game of charades with a room full of ex-hippie liberals that was so politically incorrect that we should have all been arrested. 3. A laughing fit that actually made me pee in my pants a little bit. (See above.) 4. The sobering realization that I have gained 10 pounds in the last year. (I only weigh myself once a year - at Thanksgiving. What? It's a ritual and they're the only people I know who own a scale.) 5. The development of what my mother fondly refers to as an "air baby." I'll let you figure that one out for yourself. (See title.) 6. My best charades clue contribution EVER. "Charade." One of my favorite movies - who can resist Cary Grant taking a shower in a suit? The woman who had to act it out simply reinacted our entire game in fast forward, it was great. 7. A casual conversation about meth and anal sex over turkey, stuffing, mashed, peas, gravy and cranberry chutney with my friend Marcia who works in an AIDS clinic. 8. The discovery that my parents were really hurt that I didn't invite them to my thirtieth birthday party. We live in different states!! It didn't even occur to me!! Still, I feel like an asshole, especially since my folks are actually a little cooler than my friends (sorry, friends). * 9. The sad acceptance that since I once ate garlic mashed potatoes when I was knocked up, I will never be able to eat them again no matter how many years have gone by. 10. Truly giving thanks this year for the simple fact that I could sit in a group of 16 people and say, "I can't eat garlic mashed potatoes because I ate them once when I was pregnant" without a single one of them judging me. I don't know what I did to deserve all this love, but I'll take it. I adore Thanksgiving. The people I spend it with are my parents friends but they're my friends too and I'm so lucky to have them. I may not be rich or famous, but there are times (more than you might think) when I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. Because I am. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. You are lucky too!! And it's the beginning of the holiday season - from here on out it's all pine scents and ribbons and snow on our hats. Don't you just love this time of year? Me too. *Yes, the parents are now invited and will be joining us for brunch. If you are reading this and are coming to the party, don't worry - they really are cooler than you. (Sorry again.)

|