Friday, December 23, 2005

Merry Appendichristmas!!

Last night I called my parents to wish my mother a happy birthday. She was busy saying goodbye to some guests so I chatted with my stepdad while I waited for her to get on the phone. "I ate something that disagreed with me," he said. "I have a really bad pain in my stomach. It won't go away." Our friend Bev, who happens to suffer from chronic colitis, had assured him that it was a rebellious colon but I was unconvinced. It was my stepfather's demeanor that unsettled me. He has something like two months of sick time accrued. He never calls in sick and even when he is sick, he just powers through it like a warrior. So when he said, "I hardly ever get sick but when I do I guess don't handle it very well...." the worry bees started a-buzzing. That statement is patently untrue and the fact that he had convinced himself of it in order to explain how miserable he felt led me to believe that he was experiencing a level of misery that was all new to him. "Don't rub it!" I said. "Maybe you should go to the hospital," I said. "I think I'll wait and see how I feel tomorrow," he replied. Yeah, so my stepfather is currently in the hospital on a morphine drip, awaiting his emergency appendectomy. Methinks someone mebbe pissed off the Baby Jesus this year, eh? Way to go!

|