Friday, February 24, 2006

Friday List

Bad things that have happened this week: Well, other than Iraq teetering on the edge of civil war, I would have to say that the South Dakota abortion ban tops my list. I had to get all the way to page 16 of the Boston Globe yesterday before I heard anything about it. Now I can't find anything about it online that isn't on an anti-choice website. Basically, it is now a felony in South Dakota to perform an abortion under any circumstances other than to save the life of the mother. That includes rape and incest. Yes, you read that correctly. And here we go, off to the newly re-shuffled Supreme Court to determine if daddies are to be allowed to force their daughters to give birth to their brothers. Way to go South Dakota! Them's some mighty fine priorities ya got there. Good things that have happened this week: 1. I took myself out for sushi last night at the very best sushi place in town. They tried to sit me next to the kitchen, not seeming to realize that I have at least a corpuscle of self-esteem. I demanded a better spot at the sushi bar and proceeded to drink allllllllll the sake in the wholewideworld. There really is something about sitting at a sushi bar, reading a book, drinking sake and eating raw fish that makes a person feel classy and civilized. 2. I FINALLY got a bunch of people who I like but don't know each other in the same room together. Dantobindantobin and his anerable wife Meaghan came over to my place for brunch and joining them was Emily "Fashion Explosion" Neill with her brand-new pocketbook-sized child, Theo, Steve "Warrior" Steve and my roommate ChrisI'lldothedishesifyoucook. And they all seemed to get along which is what I consider unparalleled success. 3. Chocolate and peanut butter covered banana bread happened. To me. There was also milk. Clearly there is some sort of karmic goodness floating around. 4. Speaking of karma, someone gave me this pair of brand new $90 shoes for FREEEEEE. Having a reputation as a shoe maven can come in mighty handy sometimes.... 5. And best of all - the deeeeelicious icing on the motherfucking cake - was this email: Dear Members of the Harvard Community, I write to let you know that, after considerable reflection, I have notified the Harvard Corporation that I will resign as President of the University as of June 30, 2006. I will always be grateful for the opportunity to have served Harvard in this role, and I will treasure the continuing friendship and support of so many exceptional colleagues and students at Harvard. Sincerely, Larry Summers Sayonara douchebag!! Have a lovely weekend, all. Slothy kisses to each and every one of you.

|